Unico is an Australian IT service company driven by the brightest minds of handpicked specialists in technology and innovation. Established in 1984, Unico is privately owned, with a multidisciplinary team of 200+ technology and business professionals. We are driven by Integrity, Passion and Intellect. This is our DNA. It defines everything we do.
This role is responsible for championing development practices across the business in successfully delivering and supporting development products/projects for customers. The role manages and mentors software engineers (people), defines development practices (process), and develops strategies to formulate efficient and measurable delivery (strategy).
As the Head of Software Development you will coach, mentor and inspire your team to push technology boundaries, working on greenfield projects to delivery technical solutions for our clients. You will be passionate about technology and come from a software development background- you'll probably still be coding on the weekends or be active in the meetup/technology space.
- People- we have some of the best technical minds and want someone who can lead this talent.
- Recruiting, selecting, and orienting Software Engineers
- Coaching, training and KPI setting for Software Engineers
- Building effective relationships with stakeholders
- Championing best practices in development processes
- Setting development policies, standards, guidelines, and tooling
- Inspecting and adapting processes to improve efficiency in delivering software releases
- Capturing, tracking, and reporting consistent development metrics across projects and products
- Assisting in the preparation of project proposals and developing proof-of-concepts
- Support the business in building a reputation of delivering quality software solutions
- Ensuring solutions are consistently developed to be of high quality and simply solve complex problems
- Defining development strategy, articulating performance objectives and approaches for all projects
- Assisting with building technology strategies and innovation strategies
- Minimum of 12 years experience in developing software
- Minimum of 6 years experience in leading a team
- Experience with complex IT business domains
- Experience defining and implementing standards, tools, and processes
- Experience working in consulting or professional services
- Experience developing server-based and cloud-based applications
- Excellent strategic thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, SAFe)
- Experience with version control tools (Git, TFS)
- Experience with issue tracking tools (Jira)
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies (AI, Machine Learning, IoT)
- Proven stakeholder management skills
- Experience in facilitation of workshops
Unico offers a great blend of professional development, financial and non-financial rewards, and a positive supportive work culture.
- Culture of continuous learning and development with space to grow professionally
- Great working environment with modern equipment
- Free yearly travel card
- On-site gym/fitness classes
- Subsidised on-site osteopath
- Open and friendly culture with perks and Friday food and drinks
- Free cafe quality coffee
- Great location - close to Albert Park, Fawkner Park, Melbourne Aquatic Centre, St Kilda Rd public transport, the Botanical Gardens and CBD
- Work-life Balance